Manages the operations of payroll, ensuring the accurate and timely payment of all team members within guidelines and policies. Responsible for preparation and processing of payroll, processing time and attendance, maintaining all payroll records and applicable reports, and providing payroll information as needed to management, team members, and external agencies. Responsible for the administration, and maintenance of the company’s employee benefit programs.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Full Cycle bi-weekly multi-state payroll processing (exempt and non-exempt) for all Jako locations: stores, corporate, and distribution center.
- Review and verify bi-weekly payroll for abnormalities once preview is received from ADP and make corrections/adjustments as needed. Respond to team member’s questions, problems and ensure all team members are fairly and timely compensated.
- Manage compliance with all Payroll regulations including payment processing, payroll taxes and involuntary deductions such as levies and garnishments. Maintains related records, filing tax reports and voluntary deduction reports. Prepares and reconciles W-2 wages to ledger annually.
- Maintain and update a system of internal controls and processes in compliance with Sarbanes Oxley. Maintains ADP timekeeping system. Edits time punches, generates reports and transmits hours to payroll system. Provides technical support to all ADP timekeeping users. Implement changes related to functionality and processing of time and Company rules.
- Reporting: Prepares Manager’s Bonus report and New Jersey Census Report on monthly basis. Prepares special reports for senior management. Prepares payroll reports of hours, earnings, and deductions according to Company procedure. Includes working with internal and external auditors and state and federal agencies.
- Keeps employee records up-to-date by processing new hire information and team member status changes in timely fashion.
- Performs benefits administration to include communicating benefit information to team members, Identifying team member’s eligibility, plan and processes changes. Maintains team member benefit plans such as life, health, dental and disability insurance, and employee assistance program (EAP).
- Maintains Human Resource Information System records and compiles reports from database.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting/Business or equivalent preferred. A minimum of 8 years of relevant payroll management experience. Experience leading the Payroll function of a large Company in multi-state environment. Thorough knowledge of ADP systems is required. ADP Workforce Now application experience preferred. Understanding of processing compensation and payroll tax withholding. Experience with developing business processes and procedures and maintaining internal controls in compliance with Sarbanes Oxley. Excellent computer skills including advanced MS Excel experience. Excels in a high growth, fast paced, multi-task oriented environment.Good interpersonal and verbal communication skills for answering payroll inquiries and relating to other employees; pleasant telephone voice; willingness to assume responsibility and solve problems; basic math skills (add, subtract, multiply, divide, fractions, percents, decimals); and professional demeanor and appearance. Must have ability to: interact professionally with a wide variety of people, maintain confidential data; compose routine and complex business reports and correspondence; and read and interpret technical documentation; receive detailed information through verbal communication; and deal effectively with time pressures, stress, and changing priorities.